Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Of Legend And Legacy

 
 
Of Legend And Legacy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 21, 2021
1. Of Legend And Legacy Marker
Inscription.  Spend some time wandering around Bay City and you'll notice a few names appearing time and time again...on buildings, streets and parks. Some identify the person responsible without a hint of their accomplishments. Others reflect the early community's respect for creative spirit and romantic lore. Either way, for us, their accomplishments are legend, and their contributions are our legacy.

Photo captions
[Top]: The stately commercial buildings that once lined Water Street made way long ago for Wenonah Park, today a community gathering place and site of outdoor concerts, festivals and special events. The park was original ly developed to complement one of Bay City's most notable landmarks, the Wenonah Hotel, which was located at the current site of the colorful and ultra modern Delta College Planetarium. The park and hotel bear the name of Hiawatha's mother, immortalized in a classic Longfellow poem.

[Lower left]: Long before the Wenonah Hotel welcomed her first guests in 1908, the Shearer family built three commercial buildings in Bay City. Noted architect James Shearer is responsible for many imposing
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
structures; in 1871 he supervised construction of the State Capitol in Lansing. The Shearer Block, a building at 101 Center Avenue, circa 1867, housed many businesses over the years and provided a sturdy foundation for another family legacy.

[Bottom left]: Jeweler John Rose welcomed the young Herman Hiss into his business in 1888 when it was located in the Shearer Block. By 1896, the already popular business became known as Herman Hiss and Company. It moved to its present location at 905 Washington Avenue in 1910, and it is operated to this day by the Hiss family.

[Lower right]: caption: Although a narrow focus on jewelry made Hiss successful, other ambitious entrepreneurs took advantage of the nearly endless opportunities in early Bay City and "diversified their portfolios." One of them, a for mer sailor named Captain Charles M. Averell, succeeded as well in commercial exploits as he fared at the helm of a schooner. Averell constructed this building at 109 Center Avenue shortly after the Shearer Block was completed. This venture led to others in real estate and interests in the lime, barrel stave and wooden pipe industries that flourished in Bay City in the mid-to-late 1800s.
 
Erected by Rotary Club of Bay City.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce
Of Legend And Legacy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 21, 2021
2. Of Legend And Legacy Marker
Parks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 43° 35.88′ N, 83° 53.342′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Avenue and Saginaw Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Center Ave, Bay City MI 48708, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Ten Hours or No Sawdust" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keit's Florist (about 600 feet away); Train Traffic Control Shack Informational Kiosk (about 700 feet away); IX-inch Dahlgren SB Iron Shell Gun (approx. 0.2 miles away); US 13-inch Sea-Coast Mortar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bay County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cross Country Connections (approx. ¼ mile away); Center Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182354

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024