Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sandusky’s First Cemetery

1816–1830

 
 
Sandusky's First Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 12, 2021
1. Sandusky's First Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Site of Sandusky’s first cemetery, 1816–1830.
 
Erected by The Erie County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 41° 27.263′ N, 82° 43.297′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of West Water Street and Shelby Street, on the left when traveling west on West Water Street. It is across from the entrance to the Shelby Street Boat Launch. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1099 W Water St, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Angels Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles, Daniel and Gustave Frohman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Sandusky Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson’s Island (approx. half a mile away); Underground Railroad (approx. half a mile away); G.A. Boeckling Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .
Sandusky’s First Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 12, 2021
2. Sandusky’s First Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
 West Battery was site of Sandusky's first village cemetery. 2019 article by Henry Timman in the Sandusky Register. Excerpt:
When Sandusky city was first surveyed in 1818, the area east of Megs and north of Washington Street was designated as the East Battery and the area west of Shelby Street and north of Washington was labeled the West Battery. ...

The West Battery was the site of Sandusky’s first village cemetery and the East Battery was for a long time the site of shipyards and was leased later for industrial use. Over time the park was enlarged with fill dirt from basements and sewer lines being dug and finally was developed into park land and marinas.
(Submitted on October 4, 2021.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183135

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 2, 2021