La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The yellow ochre brick building boasts Italianate decorative elements, such as overhanging eaves and a stepped brickwork cornice with paired brackets. The windows and doors have iron hood moldings and round arches on the first floor and the center of the front façade. The second floor windows have tave segmental arches. Decorative roundels adorn the first floor windows on the outer bays. Brick pilasters with stepped tops outline the edges of the building and bays, and a stringcourse spans the first and second stories. The gabled roof has broken pediments on each end. A single-story portico at the main entrance has two square columns on each side and a balustrade along the top.
The interior design provided a place for social gatherings, and music and theatrical exhibitions. The casino also served
The casino served as city hall, headquarters of the volunteer fire service, and later the activity center for senior citizens. It stood vacant before being renovated and reverting to a place of "Gemütlichkeit", which loosely translates as "a locale of good mood, belonging, and social acceptance."
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2017
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18722.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 29° 54.452′ N, 96° 52.622′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Street (U.S. 77) and East La Fayette Street, on the right when traveling north on North Jefferson Street. The marker is located at the right side of the front entrance to the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 254 North Jefferson Street, La Grange TX 78945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Library BuildingLa Grange Depot Museum (about 600 feet away); Webb-Schneider House (about 600 feet away); Lester Hotel (about 600 feet away); Texas Rangers Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (about 700 feet away); Bradshaw-Killough House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Also see . . . Blanton, Annie Webb.
Annie Webb Blanton, teacher, suffragist, and the first woman in Texas elected to statewide office, was born on August 19, 1870, in Houston, one of seven children of Thomas Lindsay and Eugenia (Webb) Blanton. Her twin sister, Fannie, died as a girl. A brother, Thomas Lindsay Blanton, represented central West Texas in the United States Congress from 1917 to 1936. Annie Blanton attended school in Houston and La Grange. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on October 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.