La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The second house was on the west half of the property and had several owners and some additions until Louis Schneider (1867-1921), born in Cat Spring (Austin County), purchased the house in 1901. Louis was a merchant, bank cashier, and member of the La Grange Concert Band. He and his wife, Mary (1871-1956), had six children and significantly reconfigured the house,
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2018
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20072.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • War, Mexican-American • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is February 15, 1850.
Location. 29° 54.463′ N, 96° 52.506′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of East Colorado Street and North Madison Street, on the left when traveling east on East Colorado Street. The marker is located in front of the house by the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 East Colorado Street, La Grange TX 78945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Bradshaw-Killough House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Casino Hall (about 600 feet away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); City Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lester Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Texas Rangers Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Also see . . . Webb, William Graham. William Graham Webb, lawyer, soldier, and newspaperman, son of John Clabourn and Faithy Watkins (Alford) Webb, was born in Covington, Newton County, Georgia, on November 11, 1824. He received his education in Athens and Cassville, Georgia, and was admitted to the bar in Macon in 1844; in the same year he moved to La Grange, Fayette County, Texas. Source : The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on October 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.