Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Dayton Woman’s Club

 
 
Dayton Woman’s Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 4, 2021
1. Dayton Woman’s Club Marker
Inscription.  Dayton Woman’s Club Community leader Robert Steele built the house that became the Dayton Woman's Club between 1845 and 1850. Napoleon Bonaparte Darst, a wealthy merchant, bought the residence in 1861. After the Civil War he refurbished the structure, updating it to the then-popular Second Empire style. In 1916, Darst's heirs sold the house to the newly-formed Dayton Woman's Club. Mrs. Marie Kumler (1856-1925), first president of the Club and the Dayton Federation of Women's Clubs led efforts to raise the $25,000 to purchase the property. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and the Club celebrated 100 years here in 2016.
 
Erected 2018 by City of Dayton, Department of Planning and Community Development; and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 29-57.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkWomen. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location.
Dayton Woman’s Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 4, 2021
2. Dayton Woman’s Club Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 45.77′ N, 84° 11.686′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Ludlow Street (Ohio Route 48) and Lowe Lane, on the right when traveling south on Ludlow Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 N Ludlow St, Dayton OH 45402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Mary J. Kumler (here, next to this marker); The Newcom Tavern (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Site Of The Newcom Tavern (about 500 feet away); Montgomery County Civil War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Steele High School (about 600 feet away); The Biltmore (about 600 feet away); Josephine and Hermene Schwarz (about 700 feet away); Victoria Theater (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
 
The Dayton Woman’s Club image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 4, 2021
3. The Dayton Woman’s Club
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183253

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 26, 2022