Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Powhatan Courthouse

 
 
Powhatan Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 26, 2009
1. Powhatan Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The first courthouse was built here about 1783 and around it grew the village of Scottville. Named for Revolutionary War Gen. Charles Scott, who was born in the area, the town eventually became known as Powhatan Court House. The present courthouse was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis, of New York, and built in 1849. It is a masterpiece of Greek Revival architecture. The oldest building in the court square is the clerk's office built about 1798 and nearby is a late-18th-century double-galleried courthouse tavern. Part of the Confederate army, retreating from Richmond, passed here on 4 Apr. 1865.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number O-32.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 4, 1865.
 
Location. 37° 32.499′ N, 77° 55.127′ W. Marker is in Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is on Old Buckingham Road (Virginia
Powhatan Courthouse Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 26, 2009
2. Powhatan Courthouse Markers
Click or scan to see
this page online
Route 13) 0.1 miles south of Courthouse Tavern Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Powhatan Court House (here, next to this marker); Memorial to Powhatan Servicemen (here, next to this marker); The Court House (a few steps from this marker); The Powhatan Troop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Courthouse Tavern / Atkinson's Hotel / The Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Giles's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pocahontas High School (approx. 2 miles away); Mohemenco (A Monacan Village) and Drake House (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
 
Also see . . .  Powhatan Court House Historic District. National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on November 11, 2021.) 
 
Courthouse Tavern image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 26, 2009
3. Courthouse Tavern
The Powhatan Troop Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 26, 2009
4. The Powhatan Troop Monument
(front) Erected to keep in tender remembrance The Powhatan Troop Company E Fourth Virginia Cavalry Second Brigade First Division Stuart's Cavalry Corps A. N. V.
(side) 1861 Manassas
(rear) To honor valor is mankind's delight.
(side) 1865 Appomattox
Memorial to Powhatan Servicemen image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 26, 2009
5. Memorial to Powhatan Servicemen
Virginia Historic Landmark plaque for the Powhatan Court House Historic District image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, August 21, 2021
6. Virginia Historic Landmark plaque for the Powhatan Court House Historic District
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   6. submitted on August 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18348

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 19, 2022