Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Milford Cemetery

 
 
Milford Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jackson Frye
1. Milford Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

W.R. Hudson and J.M. Higgins, early pioneers in this area, came from Cherokee County in East Texas to settle here in 1853. They laid off a townsite in 1854 and named it Milford. The town developed steadily, and soon boasted homes, a school, post office, churches, and other community institutions.

Although there are no specific records to document the establishment of the Milford Cemetery, the oldest grave is that of E.F. Kimbrough Smith, wife of W.P. Smith, who died at age 23 in 1855. The size of the cemetery has increased over the years, and it is the final resting place of generations of some early Milford families.

Ellis County pioneers buried in this historic graveyard include Texas Revolutionary soldiers Thomas Jefferson Jordan and James McDaniel. Nearly two hundred small graves of infants and young children from the 19th century attest to the often harsh living conditions of the frontier. Also interred here, in addition to the Texas Revolutionary soldiers, are veterans of the Mexican War, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and Vietnam. An important element of Milford's history, the cemetery stands as a reminder
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the area's frontier heritage.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7122.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 32° 7.592′ N, 96° 56.486′ W. Marker is in Milford, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on East Water Street west of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford TX 76670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James McDaniel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas J. Jordan (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Milford Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint James A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hammel's Branch (approx. 3.6 miles away); Italy Colored City Hall (approx. 4.7 miles away); General Edward H. Tarrant (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Milford Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jackson Frye
2. Milford Cemetery Marker
Milford Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jackson Frye
3. Milford Cemetery Marker
Thomas J. Jordan Marker nearby in the Milford Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jackson Frye
4. Thomas J. Jordan Marker nearby in the Milford Cemetery
James McDaniel Marker nearby in the Milford Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jackson Frye
5. James McDaniel Marker nearby in the Milford Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 12, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183587

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024