Peoria in Peoria County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Peoria Settlement Site
When Father Marquette, the missionary, and Louis Joliet, the trader, first white men to see the site of Peoria, came ashore here in the summer of 1673, there was an Indian village at this location. 100 years later, the French had built a village and fort here.
Erected 1968 by Peoria Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1673.
Location. 40° 42.078′ N, 89° 34.272′ W. Marker is in Peoria, Illinois, in Peoria County. Marker is on Caroline Street south of NE Adams Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is in Detweiller Marina. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Caroline Street, Peoria IL 61603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Peoria (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Services Memorial Plaza (approx. one mile away); Camp Lyon (approx. one mile away); Waterborn Services Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Peoria on The Riverfront / Peoria Schwab - Powell Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Zeally Moss (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Zeally Moss (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.