Near Longwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mt. Airy Fight
Sept. 15, 1864
Mosby * U.S.
Erected by J.E.B. Stuart Chapter of the Confederate Veterans.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list.
Location. 39° 6.983′ N, 77° 50.81′ W. Marker is near Longwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Memorial is at the intersection of Harry Byrd Highway (Virginia Route 7) and Blueridge Mountain Road (Virginia Route 601), on the right when traveling west on Harry Byrd Highway. The marker is at the foot of VA State Marker T 11. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 232 Harry Byrd Hwy, Bluemont VA 20135, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Appalachian Trail and Bears Den (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lives And Times Of The Snickersville Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Snickersville Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bluemont (approx. ¾ mile Snickersville Turnpike (approx. ¾ mile away); Bluemont Historic District (approx. ¾ mile away); Lt. Col. Roger Preston Chew (1843-1921) (approx. 1.3 miles away); Judge Parker's “Retreat” & the Battle of Cool Spring (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longwood.
More about this marker. This is one in a series of granite markers placed by the J.E.B. Stuart Chapter of the Confederate Veterans sometime in the 1890s to commemorate significant Civil War actions around Clarke County.
Also see . . . Mt. Airy Fight - Snickers Gap - Sept. 15, 1864. Welcome to Bluemont website entry (Submitted on August 4, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,140 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.