Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Auburn First Baptist Church

Established 1838

 
 
Auburn First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, October 16, 2021
1. Auburn First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Auburn First Baptist Church's history dates to June 19, 1838. The first church structure was a log building erected on the north side of West Glenn Avenue on land donated by Judge John Harper, the Methodist founder of the town of Auburn. Land for the present location was given by Mrs. Matthew Turner. During the Civil War, while the church building served as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers, a tornado collapsed the roof which landed on the church pews, thus sparing the lives of those inside. The Frazer family led the construction of a second building in 1866-1867. In 1892, the congregation's new building included Sunday School rooms and stained-glass windows. The present building was dedicated April 14, 1929. The Memorial Windows and the Memorial Pipe Organ were dedicated in the 1970s.

The church prospered from its pastoral and lay leadership who also had impacts beyond Auburn. Pastor Harden E. Taliaferro edited the state Baptist paper and wrote fiction as a Southwestern humorist. Pastors A.Y. Napier and Howard Olive left for missionary work in China and the Philippines. Rev. M. W. E. Lloyd served as pastor
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
three times for a total of eighteen years. Auburn University presidents I. T. Tichenor and Harry Philpott were ordained members, and Spright Dowell and Ralph B. Draughon served as lay leaders. The beloved team of John and Jeanette Jeffers, with music minister, Dale Peterson, provided the longest leadership. Preeminent lay leaders included Leland Cooper (the university's first Baptist Student Union director and the church's first woman deacon); Patrick Mell, C. E. Little and L. M. Ware.
 
Erected 2018 by the Auburn First Baptist Church and Auburn Heritage Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 32° 36.539′ N, 85° 28.865′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is on East Glenn Avenue east of North College Street (Alabama Route 15), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 E Glenn Ave, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Luckie Meagher's Kindergarten / Sani-Freeze Dairy Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Auburn Guards (about 500 feet away); The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
Auburn First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, October 16, 2021
2. Auburn First Baptist Church Marker
(about 600 feet away); The Crescent (about 600 feet away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn - Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
 
Auburn First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, October 16, 2021
3. Auburn First Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   3. submitted on October 17, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183941

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024