Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitewood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Whitewood's Cattle Industry

 
 
Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker image. Click for full size.
October 16, 2021
1. Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker
Inscription.  Cattle began arriving in the 1860s when the cattle drives came up from the south bringing the large herds of long horned cattle, and in the 1870s homesteaders brought small herds to the Whitewood area. The natural tall prairie grass of the High Plains enabled cattle to thrive. Buyers from the Omaha and Sioux City stockyards came to Whitewood to buy this prime beef.

1921—Black Hills Sales Pavilion, one of the first livestock sales barns West of the Missouri River in WY, MT, ND, and SD, was built in Whitewood with capital stock of $10,000 raised by selling $50.00 shares and local stockmen buying $100 shares. In 1922 the Black Hills Purebred Livestock Breeders held their annual meeting at this Pavilion.
 
Erected 2016 by the City of Whitewood and Outside Deadwood Grant. (Marker Number 715.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
 
Location. 44° 27.753′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 103° 38.313′ W. Marker is in Whitewood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Laurel Street and North Street, on the right when traveling south on Laurel Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitewood SD 57793, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whitewood's Railroad History (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frawley Brothers Upper Ranch (approx. 4.1 miles away); 1940 DAR Penny Pines Forest (approx. 4˝ miles away); Henry Weston Smith (approx. 5.6 miles away); Preacher Smith of Deadwood Gulch (approx. 5.7 miles away); First Deadwood Gold Discovery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Placer Claim No. 2 above Discovery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Deadwood’s Boy Scout Tree Project (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitewood.
 
Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker image. Click for full size.
October 16, 2021
2. Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker
Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker, from the north image. Click for full size.
October 16, 2021
3. Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker, from the north
Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker, from the south image. Click for full size.
October 16, 2021
4. Whitewood's Cattle Industry Marker, from the south
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2021. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184172

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024