Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Shiloh Log Church
The Union troops were determined to hold the high ground by the church and the Confederates were equally determined to drive the Federals into the Tennessee River. After several hours of intense fighting the entire Federal Army under the command of General U.S. Grant slowly withdrew toward Pittsburg Landing, leaving this area with many dead and wounded from both sides.
By early afternoon General P.G.T. Beauregard assumed command of the Confederate Army after the death of General Johnston. Beauregard established his headquarters and directed the battle from this area near the church.
The following day, April 7, Shiloh Church once again served as a critical location when the Confederate Army started their slow retreat back to Corinth. General Beauregard and his staff directed the retreat from this area.
Although the original log church at Shiloh was destroyed during the battle, the log church before you is a near exact replica of that original church. Much detail went into building this church, using hand-hewn logs approximately 150 years old that came from this area. This log church replica was started in 1999 under the direction of the Shiloh Sons of Confederate Veteran Camp #1454 and Shiloh Methodist Church.
With the support and donations from the sons and daughters of both the Union and Confederate Veterans, Shiloh Methodist Church, Shiloh National Military Park, and numerous other friends, this monumental task became a reality and was completed in 2001. Shiloh Log Church again stands proudly on the Battlefield of Shiloh.
(List of contributors)
We acknowledge the above contributors but also want to recognize the many friends and other supporters, too numerous to mention, who made this project possible.
Erected by Shiloh Sons
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 6, 1862.
Location. 35° 8.039′ N, 88° 21.294′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Confederate Road south of Hamburg Purdy Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Shiloh Log Church (here, next to this marker); Army of the Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); Army of the Ohio (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Army of the Mississippi (within shouting distance of this marker); Follow, Not Go! (within shouting distance of this marker); Violent Sabbath (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, 1st Illinois Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled “Shiloh Log Church".
Also see . . . Shiloh National Military Park(Submitted on October 19, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 182 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.