Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Preacher Smith of Deadwood Gulch
In 1876 he joined the great rush to these Black Hills -- not to mine gold, but to claim lives for God. Reading and writing poetry eased his loneliness. During the week he performed manual labor to send savings to his family in Kentucky and to sustain himself as he preached on Deadwood's main street.
On Sunday, August 20, 1876, after service in Deadwood, he tacked a note on his cabin door saying he had gone to Crook City to preach. On the way he was shot, in his pocket were the notes, now blood-stained, for the undelivered sermon. His Bible lay unopened. The Society of Black Hills Pioneers erected this monument in 1914 near where he was killed.
Today his body lies in Mt. Moriah Cemetery overlooking Deadwood.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 44° 24.27′ N, 103° 43.162′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on U.S. 85, 1.6 miles north of Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Weston Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); First Deadwood Gold Discovery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Placer Claim No. 2 above Discovery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Deadwood’s Boy Scout Tree Project (approx. 1˝ miles away); 1940 DAR Penny Pines Forest (approx. 1.6 miles away); Elizabethtown (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wild Bill Hickok (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chinatown (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 116 times this year. Last updated on October 20, 2021. Photos: 1. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on October 20, 2021. 3. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.