Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hot Springs in Fall River County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Wood Stage Station

Sydney to Deadwood Trail

 
 
Wood Stage Station Marker image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
1. Wood Stage Station Marker
Inscription.  Approximately 125 yards east of this spot the Wood Stage Station served as a stop on the Sydney to Deadwood Trail. This station offered the first glimpse of the Black Hills to travelers seeking their fortune in the newly opened gold fields. The station, in operation from 1876 to 1888 was run by Lt. William Wood and his wife Susanna (Friday) and their four children — Ruth, St. Clair, Paul, and Leo. Lt. Wood had served as aide-de-camp to General Custer during his expedition to the Black Hills in 1874. After mustering out of the army in 1875, Wood got his start in the stage business by building a stage depot in Deadwood in 1876. This stage station, in addition to the standard facilities for handling the horses, stage coaches, and wagons passing along the trail, offered a dining room for the drivers and passengers on the stage line. During the height of travel along the trail in 1878-79, it is estimated that over 25 million pounds of freight passed the station on its way to settlers in the Black Hills.
 
Erected 2008 by Jedediah Smith Corral of Westerners with assistance from Deadwood HPC. (Marker Number
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
700.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 43° 18.251′ N, 103° 33.811′ W. Marker is near Hot Springs, South Dakota, in Fall River County. Marker is on State Highway 71, 0.1 miles north of County Road 71D, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located just south of a bridge over the Cheyenne River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs SD 57747, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fire on the Edge (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Stevenson Robertson: Pioneer Horticulturalist (approx. 8 miles away); Mammoth Site of Hot Springs, SD (approx. 9.1 miles away); Leslie Jensen Scenic Drive (approx. 9˝ miles away); Hot Springs, SD (approx. 9˝ miles away); a different marker also named Leslie Jensen Scenic Drive (approx. 9.9 miles away); Sandstone Architecture of Hot Springs, SD (approx. 10 miles away); An Old Jail - 1888 (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hot Springs.
 
Wood Stage Station Marker, from the south image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
2. Wood Stage Station Marker, from the south
Wood Stage Station Marker, from the north image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
3. Wood Stage Station Marker, from the north
Area east of marker image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
4. Area east of marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2021. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 22, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184456

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024