Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edgemont in Fall River County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Camp Collier

June 1876 - June 1877

 
 
Camp Collier Marker image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
1. Camp Collier Marker
Inscription.  Camp at the Mouth of the Red Canyon, sometimes called Camp Collier, was established at this site in mid-June 1876 to protect travelers over the 150-mile Cheyenne-Black Hills stage road. It came into being after the Sioux, resentful of the white invasion of their sacred Paha Sapa, had that spring killed a number of persons traveling through the steep-walled canyon, believed to be the most practical route from Cheyenne to the newly-found Black Hills gold fields. The camp was garrisoned by Co. K, Fourth Infantry, on detached service from its headquarters post at Fort Laramie, Wyoming Territory, and it was commanded by Captain William S. Collier. The garrison initially included two officers, 48 enlisted men and one civilian physician, but subsequently varied from 38 to 56, excluding the women laundresses and their children. The troopers constructed a stockade 125 feet square, with bastions on the northeast and southwest corners, on the flat below the mouth of the canyon, and planted evergreens around it. The Cheyenne-Black Hills telegraph line reached the post on 30 September and Custer on 19 October 1876. There was little trouble with the Indians
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
following establishment of the camp, but alkaline water, boredom, and desertions were major problems. The stockade was abandoned 13 June 1877 when the stage company opened a new short-cut route from Hat Creek to Jenney Stockade and Deadwood. The buildings were dismantled and all salvageable lumber and other equipment taken southwest to Camp on Sage Creek as Co. K departed for its new station at Fort D.A. Russell near Cheyenne. While other Army units had camped for brief periods within the Black Hills, Camp Collier at the Mouth of the Red Canyon had the distinction of being the first military establishment of any permanence in the Hills proper, existing for approximately one year.
 
Erected 1974 by the South Dakota State Historical Society in cooperation with the Fall River County Historical Society and the Edgemont Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 455.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 12, 1877.
 
Location. 43° 20.451′ N, 103° 46.971′ W. Marker is near Edgemont, South Dakota, in Fall River County. Marker is on U.S. 18, 0.2 miles east of Red Canyon Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map
Camp Collier Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 12, 2017
2. Camp Collier Marker
. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs SD 57747, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cheyenne River Crossing (approx. 3.1 miles away); Siding 7 (approx. 3.1 miles away); MAFFS 7 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Battle the Blaze (approx. 3˝ miles away); Teddy Roosevelts's Visit to Edgemont (approx. 3.6 miles away); Edgemont: Where the Trail Begins (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Camp Collier Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 12, 2017
3. Camp Collier Marker
Camp Collier Marker image. Click for full size.
October 17, 2021
4. Camp Collier Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,175 times since then and 117 times this year. Last updated on October 23, 2021. Photos:   1. submitted on October 23, 2021.   2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.   4. submitted on October 23, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184460

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024