Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sevierville in Sevier County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Sevierville

Court Avenue

 
 
Court Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 23, 2021
1. Court Avenue Marker
Inscription.  Regarded as the heart of Sevierville's historic commercial district, the buildings on Court Avenue were constructed after the courthouse was completed in 1896. They have been occupied continually by various businesses through the years. Originally named Cross Street, it once served as the driveway leading from Main Street to the residence of Bruce McMahan.

The centerpiece of Court Avenue is the Sevier County Courthouse, an excellent example of Beaux Arts architecture. Its brick walls are thirteen inches thick. Its limestone foundation was locally sourced and transported to the site by horse-drawn wagons. Grand architectural elements, including gilded domes and a tower housing a traditional four-sided Seth Thomas clock, the building's most prominent feature, are visible from miles away.

Most of the commercial buildings with brick facades facing the courthouse were built in the early 1900s by African American artisans whose work exemplified fine local craftmanship. In the late 1860s, Isaac Dockery built a brick kiln near Sevierville and established a brick masonry business. After the Civil War. Dockery became instrumental in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
establishing the brick masonry tradition within the African American culture of Sevier County. Often, his initials, I D. and sometimes a date, were inscribed on his bricks as a trademark. His most notable buildings are located on Court Avenue and many of them are recognized as landmarks.

In 1901, after a fire destroyed Lewis Trotter and Pinkney Seaton's hardware store on the Public Square, they purchased a lot on the south side of the town ditch that had originally marked the southern border of the town. They built a new location facing the courthouse, naming it Sevierville Hardware. The Miller Yett building was built in 1907 at the southeast corner of Court Avenue and Bruce Street. By 1920s there were no available lots left on Court Avenue.

Perhaps the most popular attraction on Court Avenue is the Dolly Parton Statue located on the Sevier County Courthouse lawn. Crafted by nationally known local artist, Jim Gray, the six-and-a-half-foot statue was erected to honor Sevierville native and internationally acclaimed singer-songwriter, instrumentalist, actress, author, and philanthropist, Dolly Parton.

Captions
[Left, top] Cross Street 1910, later named Court Ave.
[left, bottom] Court Avenue 1949
[Right, top] Court Avenue 1953
[Right, bottom] Welcoming POW home 1953
 
Erected by
Dolly Parton Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 23, 2021
2. Dolly Parton Statue
The statue was dedicated on May 3, 1987.
Sevierville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 35° 52.061′ N, 83° 33.931′ W. Marker is in Sevierville, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker is on Court Avenue south of Commerce Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 Court Ave, Sevierville TN 37862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Sevierville (here, next to this marker); Dr. Massey's Bird Dog (here, next to this marker); Dolly Parton (a few steps from this marker); Isaac Dockery (within shouting distance of this marker); Sevier County Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Sevierville's Infamous White Caps (within shouting distance of this marker); Hon. Lieut. Spencer Clack (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Sevierville (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sevierville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   2. submitted on October 25, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184569

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024