Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Greenway Historic District

 
 
Greenway Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
1. Greenway Historic District Marker
Inscription.  This 30-square-mile scenic landscape illustrates the evolution of a unique rural community. Unlike the rest of the Shenandoah Valley, where mostly Scots-Irish and German immigrants settled on small farms, Virginia Tidewater gentry occupied most of this district. These families brought with them their wealth and a slave-based economy, which they employed to build and maintain large plantations. Significant residents included Thomas Lord Fairfax, proprietor of the Northern Neck; Nathaniel Burwell, grandson of Robert “King” Carter; Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary War hero; and William Meade, third Episcopal Bishop of Virginia.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number B-38.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansAgricultureChurches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 39° 3.559′ N, 78° 2.471′ W. Marker is near Millwood, Virginia
Wider view of the Greenway Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, July 14, 2007
2. Wider view of the Greenway Historic District Marker
, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of John Mosby Highway (U.S. 17 / 50) and Bishop Meade Road (Virginia Route 255), on the right when traveling west on John Mosby Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millwood VA 22646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Burwell-Morgan Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Long Branch (approx. ¾ mile away); Millwood (approx. ¾ mile away); Carter Hall (approx. one mile away); Blandy Experimental Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vinyard Fight (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fight at Berry's Ferry (approx. 2.2 miles away); Saratoga (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millwood.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia: William Meade. (Submitted on July 23, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Intersection of John Mosby Highway and Bishop Meade Road image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
3. Intersection of John Mosby Highway and Bishop Meade Road
Bethel Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
4. Bethel Church
Off Swift Shoals Road (Route 622), the church was built in 1833 on the site of an older Quaker meeting house. The church still uses oil lighting. It also features four entrances - formerly for white, black, male and female congregation members. It is on the list of state historic landmarks, and opens for special events.
The Tuleyries image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
5. The Tuleyries
This federal-style mansion constructed in 1833 is typical of the dwellings constructed in the district. A later owner would donate land for the Virginia State Arboretum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,694 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on July 23, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021