Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brown Plaza

 
 
Brown Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, September 5, 2021
1. Brown Plaza Marker
Inscription.  

First Plaza established in Del Rio - a city built on site of a Pre-Colombian Indian Village. Abundant water, which attracted the Indians, also drew to this spot the earliest Europeans to visit Texas, including Cabeza De Vaca (1535) and Castano de Sosa (1590).

The permanent community of San Felipe Del Rio was founded after frontier protection was assured in 1860s. The San Felipe Agricultural, Manufacturing & Irrigation Company (organized Oct. 8, 1869) promoted settlement by giving land along San Felipe Creek as wages to its employees. Railroad lines reached Del Rio in 1884, furthering growth.

Brown Plaza, dedicated on Cinco De Mayo, 1908, was gathering place for the community. A bandstand (or Kiosko) was built by the people. Musical concerts delighted audiences and performers. The Plaza was scene of political and social gatherings. Formal promenades became a custom. Travelers rested here and cooked their food over charcoal fires.

George Washington Brown (1836-1918), donor of the Plaza, was born in North Carolina, migrating West in his youth. He served his adopted state for 43 years in offices of county
Brown Plaza image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, September 5, 2021
2. Brown Plaza
Click or scan to see
this page online
clerk and district clerk.

The Plaza was restored in 1969.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 534.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is May 5, 1908.
 
Location. 29° 21.303′ N, 100° 53.599′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Guillen Street east of Andrade Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located at the southeast end of Brown Plaza, bordered by Canal, Cantu, and Guillen Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santos S. Garza (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. Ό mile away); John Taini (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Perry Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Seminole-Negro Scouts (approx. 0.4 miles away); Roy Bean, C. S. A. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185130

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022