Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huron in Beadle County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Campbell Park Historic District

 
 
Campbell Park Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
1. Campbell Park Historic District Marker
Inscription.  The Campbell Park Historic District is a residential neighborhood located immediately south of downtown.

The Campbell Park Historic District reflects the community planning and development of Huron during the late nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The four long blocks in the north part of the district were originally set aside by town planners to serve as the South Dakota State Capital grounds.

Houses in the district were built for middle class working families between 1880 and 1948. Although there have been alterations, the overall integrity of the district is sufficient to demonstrate its historic significance.

The CPHD was established in 1974.

The Campbell Park Historic District includes a total of 133 buildings including sixty-six single family dwellings, twenty garages, three apartment buildings and other structures - churches, a library and a nursing home. Of the contributing resources, all but three were built prior to 1948. Fifty-six of the houses were built between 1900 and 1921. Predominant architectural styles include Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Bungalow, and mixed styles.
Sign
Campbell Park Historic District Marker, from the north image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
2. Campbell Park Historic District Marker, from the north
"Built by Huron Welding in memory of Harlan and May Dell Wold 4/28/2013"
Campbell Park can be seen in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
installed 2013.

Photo captions:
505 California Ave SW.
First Congregational United Church of Christ. Built 1919.

675 California Ave. SW.
Rev. Calvin H. French home; later William Farmer home. Built 1911.

719 Wisconsin Ave SW.
Mabel Cole home. Built 1910.

647 Kansas Ave SE.
Fred & Minnie Stuerwald home. Built 1910.

726 Dakota Ave S.
J.W. Campbell; later, Dr. John Tschetter house. Built 1903.

777 Dakota Ave. S.
Coe I. Crawford house. Built 1916
Photos courtesy of the City of Huron.
 
Erected 2013 by the Huron Board of Historic Preservation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
 
Location. 44° 21.599′ N, 98° 12.892′ W. Marker is in Huron, South Dakota, in Beadle County. Marker is on California Avenue Southwest south of 5th Street Southwest, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located southwest of the Huron Public Library, northwest of Campbell Park in Huron. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 521 Dakota Ave S, Huron SD 57350, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Huron Public Library (here, next to this marker); History of Huron College / Huron University (approx. ¼ mile
Campbell Park Historic District Marker and Huron Public Library image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
3. Campbell Park Historic District Marker and Huron Public Library
away); William E. Ferguson Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Huron College (approx. ¼ mile away); Michael J. Fitzmaurice (approx. ¼ mile away); Beadle County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pyle Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); "French Boxcar" (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huron.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2021. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185450

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2022