Bellville in Evans County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This town, named for area pioneer Frances Bell Smith, was founded in 1890 on property owned by Pulaski Sikes Smith, John M. Wood, and Benjamin Berrien Brewton in then Tattnall County. Town lots were platted adjacent to the newly laid tracks of the Savannah & Western Railroad. The railroad depot, constructed soon after the tracks were laid, served as the town`s center of commerce and social activity. Bellville rapidly gained importance as a regional transportation hub for agricultural and timber products such as cotton, naval stores, and lumber, and as the home of Bellville Academy, established in 1890.
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Bellville. (Marker Number 54-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 32° 9.137′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellville GA 30414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claxton First United Methodist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Dedicated to All Who Served (approx. 4 miles away); Evans County (approx. 4 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 8.4 miles away); Tattnall County (approx. 9.6 miles away); Cedar Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); Old Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The Bellville population was 130 at the 2000 census.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.