Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawfordsville in Washington County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Old Military Road

Dubuque to the Northern Boundary of Missouri

 
 
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2021
1. Old Military Road Marker
Inscription.  
This highway
is the
Old Military Road
from
Dubuque to the northern
boundary of Missouri
authorized by Congress 1839

 
Erected 1937 by Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 41° 12.755′ N, 91° 32.317′ W. Marker is in Crawfordsville, Iowa, in Washington County. Marker is on South Main Street south of East Smithfield Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of Waco Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 South Main Street, Crawfordsville IA 52621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settler's Home in Washington County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beginning of National Republican Party (about 600 feet away); Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 7.4 miles away); Farmers Union Exchange (approx. 7˝ miles away); The Dala Horse (approx. 7˝ miles away); Jonathan Clark Conger House (approx. 9˝ miles away); Rock Island Lines (approx. 9˝ miles away); Blair House (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawfordsville.
 
Also see . . .  The Old Military Road. Trailing diagonally across the State from Dubuque to Iowa City is an old ridge road. It was laid out to connect the little mining town on the river with the new Territorial capital. The United States government was then fostering the construction of military roads on the western frontier, and in March, 1839, Congress appropriated twenty thousand dollars for such a road to begin at Dubuque and run "to such point on the northern boundary of the State of Missouri as may be best suited for its future extension by that State to the cities of Jefferson and St. Louis". (Submitted on November 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2021
2. Old Military Road Marker
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2021
3. Old Military Road Marker
(Waco Elementary School in background)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185712

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024