Chatsworth in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chief Vann House
Built of locally made brick in 1804, this house, the finest in the Cherokee Nation, was the home a Town Chief, James Vann, son of a Scotch trader, Clement Vann, and his wife, a Cherokee chieftain's daughter. Around his home were several of his business ventures and many acres of land tilled by his slaves. Sponsor of Spring Place Mission, shrewd, amiable but violent, James Vann shot his brother-in-law in 1808 and, in accordance with tribal law, was killed by relatives in 1809. His son, Joseph (Rich Joe) Vann (1798-1844), inherited this estate. Increasing the wealth and influence of the Vanns. When expelled in early 1834, Joseph Vann fled to Tennessee and settled, finally at Webbers Falls, Oklahoma. Racing his steamboat The Lucy Walker on the Ohio river, he died when the overheated boiler exploded near Louisville, Kentucky, in October, 1844.
A tempting prize to white men, the Vann House was the scene of a bloody battle between rival claimants in 1834. Deteriorating since, it was purchased in 1952 by a group of public-spirited citizens of Atlanta, Chatsworth and Dalton, and deeded to the Georgia Historical Commission. Restored to
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Trail of Tears series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1844.
Location. 34° 45.838′ N, 84° 49.31′ W. Marker is in Chatsworth, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is on Georgia Route 225, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Howard Payne (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Federal Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Springplace Moravian Mission & School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Moravian Mission to the Cherokee Indians (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anna Rosina Kliest Gambold (approx. 0.4 miles away); Springplace Mission (approx. 0.4 miles away); Principal Chief Charles Renatus Hicks (approx. 0.4 miles away); "God's Acre" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatsworth.
More about this markerThe marker is located on the grounds of the historic site. The gates are closed when the visitors center is not open.
Also see . . .
1. Chief Vann House Historic Site. Georgia State Parks website with hours and events. (Submitted on May 3, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Chief Vann House. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on May 3, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Additional keywords. Trail of Tears
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,216 times since then and 174 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 3, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 2. submitted on May 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 3, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 8, 9. submitted on February 5, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.