Biddeford in York County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
McArthur Library / La Bibliothèque McArthur
Frederick Douglas was denied the pulpit of the Second Parish Congregational Church in Biddeford. Abolitionist members of the church were disappointed and met in a pavilion tent erected for the 1855 Maine Republican Party convention. The Pavilion Church was thus founded in the same year. John Stevens of Boston was the architect who erected this splendid brick church and a similar one in Saco in 1863. Both churches, in the Romanesque style, had an Inigo Jones-type steeple. This particular church was up for sale in 1906.
The Biddeford Library was also begun in 1863, but was lost in the 1894 City Hall fire. Robert McArthur, an agent for the Pepperell ills, bought the church building and created an endowment to re-establish the library. The steeple was thought inappropriate and removed. Additions were made in 1995 thanks to a gift from the local Rotary Club.
Erected 2006 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Biddeford, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 43° 29.663′ N, 70° 27.489′ W. Marker is in Biddeford, Maine, in York County. Marker is on Main Street just west of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 275 Main St, Biddeford ME 04005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. The Society Saint Jean-Baptiste de Bienfaisance / La Société Saint Jean-Baptiste de Bienfaisance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tracy House / La Maison Tracy (about 300 feet away); The Opera House / La Salle de L'Opéra (about 500 feet away); Biddeford City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville (about 600 feet away); The Lincoln Street Mill and Clock Tower / La Filature Et Sa Tour Sur La Rue Lincoln (about 600 feet away); John E. Maxson (about 600 feet away); Biddeford, Maine (about 600 feet away); St. Mary's Church / L'Église St. Mary (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Biddeford.
1. Spelling on the marker
The spelling of Frederick Douglas has been used verbatim from the marker. The person spelled his assumed last name Douglass.
— Submitted November 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Additional keywords. Frederick Douglass
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.