Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pecos County Courthouse

 
 
Pecos County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 10, 2021
1. Pecos County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  In 1875 Pecos County was officially organized and St. Gall, later named Fort Stockton, was designated as its seat of government. The current Pecos County Courthouse is the fourth since the county's founding. The first (1875) was officially designated and located in the adobe "Johnson House", the second (1878), third (1883) and fourth (1912) were built on the present site. A major renovation in the 1930's removed a central dome from the building's roof.

Captions
Middle Right: Third Pecos County Courthouse circa 1883
Bottom Left: 1913 Courthouse prior to dome removal
 
Erected by Historic Fort Stockton Driving Tour and Fort Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 30° 53′ N, 102° 52.758′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Callaghan Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main
The Pecos County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 10, 2021
2. The Pecos County Courthouse and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street. The marker is located at the northeast section of the Pecos County Courthouse near the corner. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 West Callaghan Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grey Mule Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Annie Riggs Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Fort Stockton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Fort Stockton (about 400 feet away); Historic Old Jail (about 500 feet away); Koehler's Saloon and Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
Also see . . .  Pecos County, Texas.
Pecos County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 15,507. The county seat is Fort Stockton. The county was created in 1871 and organized in 1875. It is named for the Pecos River. It is one of the nine counties that comprise the Trans-Pecos region of West Texas. Source: Wikipedia
(Submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186249

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022