Sardis in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sardis Baptist Church
On Sept. 28, 1803, a group of men living in Burke County near Beech Branch Meeting House, "found to be in the true Baptist faith", by a presbytery of Rev. Henry Hand and Rev. John Ross, were constituted into one Body as a Baptist Church. A church covenant was adopted. William Thompson Sr. and Stephen Murray Sr. were made deacons. Original members were Stephen Murray Sr., William Thompson Sr., Thomas Tipton, William L. Mobley, Nicholas Thomas, Jeremiah Kimbal, Jacob Taylor Jr., Jacob Hollingsworth, Ephriam Davis, Jessey Pollock, Mary Murray, Elizabeth Tillis and Ama Tipton. A new church was built on land given by William and G.W. Sapp and, in 1810, the name of the church became Sardis.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-21.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1812.
Location. 32° 58.199′ N, 81° 45.534′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 Pine Street, Sardis GA 30456, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Site Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Quaker Road (approx. 3.1 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 6.8 miles away); Paris' Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 7.7 miles away); Botsford Church - 1773 (approx. 11.2 miles away); The 14th Corps at Lumpkin's Station (approx. 11.9 miles away); Jacksonborough (approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sardis.
More about this marker. The marker is located at the current Sardis Baptist Church. The original site is approximately one mile away. Please see the Original Site Sardis Baptist Church Marker in the "Other nearby markers" section.
Regarding Sardis Baptist Church. The original Sardis Baptist church was erected on the site of the now Sardis Baptist Cemetery.
Also see . . . A City Becomes Alive. This article, by F. Leslie Jenkins Jr. and published February 20, 2008, gives a brief history of Sardis, which apparently has its roots with the founding of the Beech Branch Meeting House. (Submitted on October 3, 2008.)
1. Marker number
The marker number should technically start with 017 for Burke County, rather than 124 which is for nearby Screven
— Submitted November 19, 2020, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2008, by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. This page has been viewed 5,280 times since then and 148 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2009, by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2008, by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.