St. Helena in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Beringer Brothers Winery
Built by Frederick and Jacob Beringer, natives of Mainz, Germany. This winery has the unique distinction of never having ceased operations since its founding in 1876. Here, in the European tradition, were dug underground wine tunnels hundreds of feet in length. These maintain a constant temperature of 58 degrees. A factor considered necessary in the maturing and aging of fine wines.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the La Junta Parlor No.203, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
April 30, 1967
Erected 1967 by State Department of Parks and Recreation and La Junta Parlor No.203, Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 814.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1755.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2000 Main Street, Saint Helena CA 94574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hudson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Krug Winery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cesare Mondavi 1883 – 1959 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Krug 1825 - 1892 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Louis Stevenson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Richie Block (approx. ¾ mile away); NSGW & Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stonebridge (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Helena.
More about this marker. See "Nearby Markers" for additional Beringer Winery Information and links.
Regarding Beringer Brothers Winery. This site was designated as a California Registered Historical Landmark No.814 On December 19, 1966.
This property was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 8/17/01 as the Beringer Brothers-Los Hermanos Winery. Consisting of approximately eight acres with six contributing buildings, four contributing structures, one contributing site, and two noncontributing buildings. The complex includes the winery, residential buildings, winery support structures, and a series of circulation routes and landscape features. The district also includes the famous and
Also see . . . The Beringer Winery. Winery homepage (Submitted on May 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on May 8, 2009. 5. submitted on May 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on May 8, 2009. 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.