Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Riverdale Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Riverdale School

 
 
Riverdale School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, July 13, 2014
1. Riverdale School Marker
Inscription.  
A holiday crowd gathered on this spot July 4, 1895 to celebrate the dedication of the first Riverdale School built by the Riverdale Park Company, developers of a new streetcar suburb of Riverdale Park. The two-room building, measured 28 by 60 feet, had 12 windows and a belfry with a bell to mark the passage of each day's happenings. The developer set land aside for the school in the hope that it would attract families with young children to buy homes in the new community. The company then gave the school to Prince George's County, which supplied the teacher. The Evening Star reported that the new school would mean that children would no longer be "compelled to trudge" to Hyattsville for an education.

The school opened in September 1895 with Elizabeth McGee in the role of Teacher and principal for about 40 students. One youngster described Mrs. McGee as a short elderly woman who maintained order in the classroom with a memorable glare. The school grew so rapidly that an assistant teacher was hired in 1898. By 1899, an addition was built on the original school and an adjacent house was used as an annex. The school
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was in use until 1919 when students moved to a larger building constructed at the corner of Riverdale and Taylor Roads, which is the site of the Riverdale Elementary School today. The original school was not used for any other purpose and was removed sometime in the 1920s.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1895.
 
Location. 38° 57.673′ N, 76° 55.867′ W. Marker is in Riverdale Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Oliver Street and Riverdale Road, on the right when traveling north on Oliver Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4900 Riverdale Rd, Riverdale MD 20737, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverdale Park (a few steps from this marker); Betty's Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to the Riversdale Garden (about 300 feet away); The Riversdale Dependency (about 300 feet away); Signs of War (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Riversdale (about 500 feet away); This Demiculverin (about 500 feet away); The Harry Smith House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale Park.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
Riverdale School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), December 3, 2021
2. Riverdale School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2021, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2. submitted on December 3, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187363

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024