Williamsport in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birthplace of the Little League World Series
Carl Stotz (1910-1972)
a lifelong Williamsport resident, was the founder of Little League Baseball. As he later told it, Stotz, a lumberyard clerk, was playing a backyard game of catch with his nephews when he came up with the idea. "How would you like to play on a regular team with uniforms, your own cap, a new ball for every game and bats your size?" he asked them. The next year, 1939, he recruited local businesses to sponsor the first three teams: Jumbo Pretzel, Lundy Lumber, and Lycoming Dairy (shown here). The first Little League World Series, in 1947, included teams from Pennsylvania and New Jersey only, but the League quickly expanded.
Stotz's dream of giving children a game where they could develop sportsmanship, fair play, and teamwork has flourished. Today's Little League includes 2.6 million players worldwide, with 200,000 teams in all 50 U.S. states and more than 80 countries.
Daniel Hughes (1804-1880)
was a conductor, agent and station master in the Underground Railroad in the Williamsport area. He was probably of mixed ancestry, African American and Mohawk Indian. Hughes married a local
Peter Herdic (1824-1888)
was a lumber baron, entrepreneur, inventor, politician, philanthropist, and developer in Williamsport. He was one of the wealthiest men in Pennsylvania and led the development of West Fourth Street, known as "Millionaires' Row." Herdic served as the city's mayor, donated large amounts of land and money to several of the city's churches and its original synagogue, and invented the Herdic cab, a horse-drawn carriage that was a precursor to the taxi. According to one newspaper obituary, "Peter Herdic was really the father of Williamsport. He was a progressive citizen; whatever may be said by his enemies, it cannot be denied that had it not been for Peter Herdic, Williamsport might be nothing more than a village of a few thousand inhabitants."
Madame Montour (1667-1753?)
was an influential interpreter and go-between who moved to Pennsylvania in 1727. Her village stood at the mouth of Loyalsock Creek, just east of Williamsport. Always known as "Madame
• Old City Hall (1875)
• The Church of the Covenant, later St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, and now Christ Community Worship Center
• Trinity Church (1876)
• Park Hotel
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Arts, Letters, Music • Settlements & Settlers • Sports.
Location. 41° 14.392′ N, 77° 0.016′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Market Street just south of West Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located along the sidewalk near the southeast corner of the Church Street Transportation Center parking garage. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mark's Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Little League • Big LegacyLycoming County (about 600 feet away); Lincoln's Gettysburg Address (about 700 feet away); Transportation Tribute (about 700 feet away); Symbols Of Our Heritage (about 800 feet away); Architectural Artifacts (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.