Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
Construction of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad produced an influx of Irish laborers into the Harpers Ferry area during the early 1830's. St. Peter's Catholic Church, completed in 1833, symbolizes America's melting pot tradition and the customs, habits, and religion of the early Irish immigrants.
During the Civil War, to protect the church from Union and Confederate shells, Father Costello flew the British Union Jack flag as a symbol of the church's neutrality. St. Peter's escaped the war relatively unscathed.
St. Peter's was remodeled to its present appearance in 1896, and Mass is offered here every Sunday.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 39° 19.37′ N, 77° 43.861′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in lower town of Harpers Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Harper House: The Mansion on the Hill (a few steps from this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars (a few steps from this marker); Harper House Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Trail to Upper Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); "A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step." (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweets for Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The marker displays photos of the church as seen From Shenandoah Street in 1865, and Looking north from Loudoun Heights, circa 1894.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,654 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 19, 2014. 5. submitted on April 26, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 6, 7. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A..