Burkeville in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— April 5, 1865 —
Crewe 4.7 miles
Erected by Virginia's Retreat.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list.
Location. 37° 11.335′ N, 78° 12.186′ W. Marker is in Burkeville, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street NW (Business U.S. 460) and Maple Road, on the right when traveling west on 2nd Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burkeville VA 23922, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilson-Kautz Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Burkeville Junction (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Burkeville Junction Ingleside Training Institute (approx. 0.7 miles away); Prince Edward County / Nottoway County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Ella Graham Agnew (approx. 2˝ miles away); T. O. Sandy (approx. 2˝ miles away); Old Nottoway Meeting House (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burkeville.
Also see . . .
1. Virginia’s Retreat. Lee’s Retreat (Submitted on May 18, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Lee’s Retreat to Appomattox. Burkeville. (Submitted on May 18, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
3. Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Lee's Retreat: Radio Message Scripts. Stop 23: Burkeville Junction. (Submitted on May 18, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
4. Inverness. (PDF) National Register documentation for Inverness, located at 844 Inverness Street in Burkeville. Although the documentation does not mention such, other sources indicate Confederates captured at Sayler's Creek camped on the grounds. (Submitted on April 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)