Near Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The original brick house was built on land owned by Lawrence Augustine Washington, the son of Samuel Washington, George’s brother. The present mansion-house, in an excellent state of preservation, was built about 1825. During the battle of Cameron’s Depot, Aug. 21, 1864, Confederate General Jubal A. Early placed his cannon near the house and formed his battle lines north and south of this point.
Erected 1974 by the West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 21, 1878.
Location. 39° 17.532′ N, 77° 55.218′ W. Marker is near Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Earle Road (County Route 51/1) south of Middleway Pike (West Virginia Route 51), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1758 Earle Rd, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the Locust Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harewood (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cameron's Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cedar Lawn (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named "Locust Hill" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Washington's Land (approx. 2.7 miles away); Brownfields to Greenfields (approx. 3 miles away); Martin Robison Delany (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
Also see . . .
1. The Washingtons of Jefferson County. Just Jefferson website entry:
By John Augustine Washington, family historian. (Submitted on July 28, 2007.)
2. Richwood Hall - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History website entry (Submitted on July 28, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,496 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 28, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on July 28, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 6, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. 5. submitted on March 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the mansion • Can you help?