Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Withers

 
 
Camp Withers Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, March 19, 2021
1. Camp Withers Marker
Inscription.  Established in May 1862 near this location, Camp Withers served as a central point for coordinating picket duties, observing Federal maneuvers along the Alabama coast, and as a station for Alabama's Seventh Cavalry Regiment. It was named in honor of former Mayor Jones M. Withers (1814-1890), who had been entrusted with building up the Civil War defenses around Mobile and the surrounding coast.

The encampment housed members of the Home Guard, City Troop A, under the command of Captain Edmund T. Arrington. Local men known to have served at Camp Withers included Cpl. Samuel Nelson, Pvt. John Ewing, Pvt. C. T. Pope, Pvt. George W. Wallace, Pvt. John Childress. In September 1863, the unit was incorporated into Company F, Fifteenth Cavalry Regiment. Camp Withers remained in operation until after the Battle of Mobile Bay, August 1864. Original marker placed November 20, 1982, by the Fort Morgan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of the local men who served here.
 
Erected 2017 by Alabama Historical Association; Charles S. Stewart Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy
Camp Withers Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, March 19, 2021
2. Camp Withers Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
and the City of Gulf Shores.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1862.
 
Location. 30° 15.874′ N, 87° 41.648′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route 180) and Island Club Drive, on the right when traveling west. Located along the Fort Morgan Road Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gulf Shores Community (approx. 1.2 miles away); Vicinity of Salt Works and Camp Anderson (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Charles Swift Family / Swift Coles Historic Home (approx. 3.8 miles away); Romar Beach (approx. 4.2 miles away); Orange Beach Municipal Complex (approx. 6.9 miles away); Indian Village Achuse (approx. 7.3 miles away); Orange Beach, Alabama (approx. 7.3 miles away); Bay Circle (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2021, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 140 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2021, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=188734

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 7, 2022