St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Frederica - Huts and Houses
When Frederica was established in 1736, each freeholder was given a lot 60 foot wide by 90 feet deep. For temporary shelter, settlers built huts covered with palmetto leaves, giving the place the look of a camp.
John Humble, a laborer and boat pilot, was the original owner of this lot. His wife died in 1736, shortly after he arrived, but he remarried the same year. Humble died in 1740, having built nothing more than a hut here.
Dr. Frederick Holzendorf, a surgeon to the regiment, purchased this lot in 1743. The foundation may be the remains of a two- story tabby house built by Dr. Holzendorf sometime after 1743, and later rebuilt.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 13.406′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shoemaker and Soldier (a few steps from this marker); Tavernkeepers (a few steps from this marker); A New House? (a few steps from this marker); The Flesh Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica - Indian Interpreter (within shouting distance of this marker); Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
More about this marker. (Upper sketch): John Humble lived in a thatched
hut on this lot. Like many other Frederica settlers,
he probably could not afford a fine House.
(Lower sketch): Dr. Frederick Holzendorf's
rather expensive house featured tabby walls
more than one foot thick. Holzendorf had a
large family and nine servents.
Also see . . . Fort Frederica National Monument. (Submitted on May 12, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.