Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Diving Bell

 
 
The Diving Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, August 10, 2008
1. The Diving Bell Marker
Inscription.  
Made in Philadelphia 1839 for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, it was used as an air chamber for workmen to make underwater repairs on the lock gates. The canal was opened in 1829 and was operated until the sea level canal was opened at Reedy Point in 1927.

This diving bell was restored in 1961 by the Delaware City Community Park District.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 39° 34.731′ N, 75° 35.267′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Clinton Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the center of the park near the end of Clinton St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lock at Delaware City (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Delaware City (within shouting distance of this marker); Building the C&D Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Fishing, Hunting & Trapping (within shouting distance
The Diving Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, August 10, 2008
2. The Diving Bell
Plaque can be seen on the side of the diving bell. The bell would have been suspended by a cable and entered from the bottom. The Delaware River is in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); Small But Mighty (within shouting distance of this marker); Sailing on the C&D Canal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waterfront at Delaware City (about 300 feet away); Coastal Defense Forts (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,573 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on January 4, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=189476

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022