Jamestown in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
History of the Dumplings
The British-Hessian occupation of the Newport area ended on October 5, 1779, when King George III withdrew his forces from Narragansett Bay. On July 10, 1780, the French returned under command of Comte de Rochambeau. His large armada and 5,800 soldiers occupied the Newport-Jamestown area until June 1781, when the French broke camp and marched to Philadelphia, joining General George Washington's forces in the defeat of the British at Yorktown.
Just prior to the War of 1812, a massive elliptical stone tower measuring 180 feet by 81 feet on the ground was built on the rocky heights above the site that later became the Harbor Mine facility. The purpose of this fortified tower was to block the entrance to Narragansett Bay in concert with guns in Newport. By 1820, the Dumpling tower, also known as Fort Brown, had outlived its usefulness. It was eventually destroyed in November 1898 as part of the construction of Fort Wetherill's more modern concrete fortifications. This process also obliterated any traces of old earthworks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
Location. 41° 28.726′ N, 71° 21.455′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker can be reached from Fort Wetherill Road. Marker is in front of the third building at the end of the road on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown RI 02835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harbor Mine (Torpedo) Complex (a few steps from this marker); Fort Wetherill (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S.S. Bennington CVA-20 (approx. Ύ mile away); John Adams (approx. 0.8 miles away); Southwest Battery (approx. one mile away); Between the Wars (approx. one mile away); Changing Role of the Fort (approx. one mile away); Three Tiers of Firepower (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
More about this marker. "part of their general occupation of Conancicut Island" has extra "c" in what otherwise would be "Conanicut".
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 85 times this year. Last updated on January 6, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.