Marblehead in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Keeper's House
Ohio Historical Marker
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Ottawa County Historical Society, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-62.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 30.873′ N, 82° 44.521′ W. Marker is in Marblehead, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bay Shore Road and Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Benajah Walcott (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Keeper’s House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Battle Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus (about 600 feet away); Johnson's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnson's Island Prison (approx. 1.1 miles away); Confederate Stockade Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Johnson’s Island Committee (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marblehead.
More about this marker. This marker was the original home of the keeper of the Marblehead Lighthouse which is 2.5 miles east on East Bay Shore Road.
Regarding The Keeper's House. The Keeper's House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and it is currently maintained by the Ottawa County Historical Society which opens both the Keeper's House and a nearby annex with literature, information, and gifts being made available to the public.
Also see . . .
1. Marblehead Lighthouse. Marblehead Lighthouse is the oldest, continuously operational lighthouse (Submitted on May 18, 2009.)
2. Wolcott Cemetery. This cemetery is located approximately ½ mile south of Wolcott’s Keepers Home, and is the burial site of Benajah Wolcott (Submitted on May 18, 2009.)
3. Ohio State Parks – Marblehead Lighthouse. (Submitted on May 18, 2009.)
4. Wolcott’s House entry on Touring Ohio's web site. (Submitted on May 20, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
5. Marblehead Lighthouse entry on Touring Ohio's web site. (Submitted on May 20, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Keeper's House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.