Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 39° 19.341′ N, 77° 44.183′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340), on the right when traveling east. Located on Virginius Island in Harpers Ferry National Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Island Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Child House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Rock (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jefferson Rock (about 400 feet away); River Wall House Ruins (about 500 feet away); Railroads (about 600 feet away); Lockwood House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of The wooden truss bridge as it appeared in 1886 from Shenandoah Street, looking across to Virginius Island. At the bottom is a photo of The access bridge as seen from Shenandoah Street in 1886. Rebuilt from this historic photograph, the present bridge is dedicated to former U.S. Senator Jennings Randolph of West Virginia for his efforts to establish Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.