Boston in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Governor
Margaret (Tyndal) Winthrop (d.
Near the Winthrop family tomb is the First Church tomb. First Church was established in 1630 and was located on King (now State) Street before moving several times until it reached its present location in the city’s Back Bay area. The tomb holds the remains of the church’s first minister, Reverend John Wilson (1588-1667), as well as Reverend John Davenport (1597-1669/70), Reverend John Oxenbridge (1607-1674), Reverend Thomas Bridge (1657-1715), and the most significant religious figure in Boston’s history, Reverend John Cotton (1584-1652). Ordained as an Anglican minister in England, Cotton was the pastor of St. Butolph’s Parish Church in Boston, England. There he slowly implemented the simpler Puritan services, so by 1632 he was in trouble with ecclesiastical authorities. In 1633 he immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, with his family and became the leading cleric in the colony. Originally supportive of Anne Hutchinson’s
The Keayne tomb holds the remains of Captain Robert Keayne (1596-1656), a tailor and merchant who came to Boston from England in 1635. A devout Puritan, he collected three volumes of notes on Reverend Cotton’s sermons from 1638 to 1646. He was a controversial figure in colonial Boston because he was very wealthy, which seemingly violated the Puritan ideals to which he was so devoted. His 53-page, 51,000-word will is one of the longest on record. Keayne left money to Harvard College, to the town of Boston for public projects, and established a fund to start a public school. Keayne was the founder and first Captain of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, the oldest military company in the country. The “Ancient and Honorables” still visit Keayne’s grave on their founding day, “June Day,” which is celebrated on the first Monday in June.
King’s Chapel Burying Ground today has 505 headstones and 59 footstones remaining from the well-over one thousand burials that took place from 1630 into the 19th century. There are also 78 tombs of which 36 have tomb markers. This includes the large vault, built as a charnel house that was converted to a tomb for children’s remains in 1833. The earliest tombs are scattered among the grave markers. Most are “table top” tombs that originally had inscriptions carved into the stone. The ravages of time have removed most of their memorial messages.
In 1715 the Board of Selectmen allowed the construction of 22 tombs along the east side (back wall) of the burying ground. In 1738 a row of merchant’s tombs were constructed on the west side along Tremont Street. Most of these tombs are marked by well-carved slate markers with heraldic emblems. The tombs extend under the Tremont Street sidewalk and are accessed by a staircase that descends 8 – 10 feet underground. The tomb itself is a rectangular room made of brick.
The town Selectmen arranged for maintenance of the burial ground in 1657 by giving citizens such as Captain Savage the right to “use the ground” in exchange for “preserving the fence about the burying place and maintaining the fence, in good condition . . . ” In the 17th century the burying place was a field on the edge of town with both wooden and stone markers scattered about. Captain Savage could harvest the long grass for feed or other use, or allow his sheep or cows to graze. In 1680 the selectmen decided that “noe Cattle be suffered to feed in them [the burying places].”
Location. 42° 21.503′ N, 71° 3.588′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker can be reached from Tremont Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located along the walking trail in King’s Chapel Burying Ground. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pilgrims and Patriots (a few steps from this marker); William Dawes Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to King’s Chapel Burying Ground (a few steps from this marker); The Ice King, the Castle Captain, and the She-Merchant (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Chapel Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Life and Death in Colonial Boston (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
More about this marker. The center of the marker contains an 1834 portrait of John Winthrop, Sr. by Charles Osgood, courtesy of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and a photograph of “The Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company lay[ing] a wreath on the tomb of founder Robert Keayne” courtesy of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company. The right side of the marker features a cross section of a tomb, showing the elevation of a typical 18th-century tomb along Tremont Street. Below this is a photograph of a gravestone with the caption “Tomb 9 marker, near the entrance gate, is that of Bartholomew Gedney (1697/98-1763), who was the owner of a wharf (called a wharfinger). Born in Salem, Gedney married four times and fathered at least 12 children.” Both of these are courtesy of Viamonte Design.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found in King’s Chapel Burying Ground.
Also see . . . King's Chapel and Burying Ground. Details of the Freedom Trail from the City of Boston website. (Submitted on May 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The First Governor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,486 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.