Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blackstone in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blackstone College

 
 
Blackstone College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
1. Blackstone College Marker
Inscription.  Three blocks south is the campus of the former Blackstone Female Institute, after 1915 Blackstone College for Girls, a teacher-training school that opened in 1894 with some 75 students including 29 boarders. James Cannon Jr., a controversial Methodist bishop and prohibitionist, twice served as chief administrator (1894-1911, 1914-1918). In 1906, U.S. Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie donated money to expand the main building. The Beaux-Arts president's home, called The Gables, was built in 1915. Enrollment neared 500 before fires in 1920 and 1922 destroyed the classroom and dormitory buildings. Rebuilt on a smaller scale, the college operated until 1950. It became the Virginia Methodist Assembly Center in 1955.
 
Erected 1996 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-174.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionEducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 37° 
Church St & College Ave (facing east). image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
2. Church St & College Ave (facing east).
Click or scan to see
this page online
4.65′ N, 78° 0.479′ W. Marker is in Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (Business U.S. 460) and College Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstone VA 23824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jamestown Oaks (approx. Ό mile away); Blackstone Female Institute (approx. Ό mile away); War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Blackstone (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Blackstone, VA. (approx. 0.6 miles away); The L.C. Tucker Building, 101 S. Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); L.B. Spencer Drug Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); 108 North Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackstone.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 15, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=19004

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 24, 2022