Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Craig House

 
 
Craig House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 30, 2021
1. Craig House Marker
Inscription.  The Craig House, perhaps Richmond’s second oldest structure, was built between 1784 and 1787 by Adam Craig (b. ca. 1760–d. 1808). He was clerk of the Richmond Hustings Court, the Henrico County Court, and the General Court. To save the house, a group of Richmond citizens in 1935 formed the William Byrd Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. The house served Richmond’s black community as the Craig House Art Center from 1938 to 1941.
 
Erected 1991 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-34.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1784.
 
Location. 37° 32.056′ N, 77° 25.517′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Grace Street near North 18th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1812 E Grace St, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lockwood Double House, 1845 (a few steps from this marker);
Marker in front of house image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
2. Marker in front of house
Click or scan to see
this page online
Branch Public Baths (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Francis Asbury (about 400 feet away); Confederate General Hospital No. 12 (about 400 feet away); Origins of Richmond (about 500 feet away); The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond (about 500 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Franklin Street Burying Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Virtual Tour of the Craig House. A link to a virtual tour of the restored house. Situated on half acre in downtown Richmond, it has been meticulously restored and has three bedrooms, six fireplaces, 2 -1/2 baths. It has a brick, two-story kitchen quarters with beautiful apartment and studio/office space. Excellent condition; great degree of historical integrity. (Submitted on July 22, 2012, by Jennie Dotts of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Craig House (restored in the 1930s) image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
3. Craig House (restored in the 1930s)
Craig House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 7, 2009
4. Craig House
Adam Craig House image. Click for full size.
By Meriden Gravure Company, Meriden, Conn.
5. Adam Craig House
'Adam Craig House' Richmond, Virginia, Built ca. 1787, Owned by the A.P.V.A, Birthplace of Poe's 'Helen.' VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,129 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 31, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   5. submitted on May 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1901

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 28, 2021