Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wedowee in Randolph County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Site of the Home of William Hugh Smith

Legislator, Governor

 
 
Site of the Home of William Hugh Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., circa July 2004
1. Site of the Home of William Hugh Smith Marker
Inscription.  An opponent of secession, he fled north in 1862. Returning after the Civil War, he was elected first governor under the Constitution of 1868 and served one two-year term. He was one of three Republican governors.
 
Erected by Randolph County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 33° 18.64′ N, 85° 29.093′ W. Marker is in Wedowee, Alabama, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 431) and Woodland Avenue, in the median on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wedowee AL 36278, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lebanon Christian Church (approx. 11.4 miles away); Louina (approx. 14 miles away); Pottery Shops in Rock Mills / The Potters of Rock Mills (approx. 15.1 miles away); Wehadkee Yarn Mills (approx. 15.4 miles away); Pottery-Making Families of Randolph County / Early Pottery Shops of Randolph County (approx. 16.8 miles away).
 
View of Main Street (US 431) from near Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., circa July 2004
2. View of Main Street (US 431) from near Smith Marker
Looking south.
Click or scan to see
this page online
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,744 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=19015

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 19, 2022