Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Shockoe Valley in Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Branch Public Baths

 
 
Branch Public Baths Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
1. Branch Public Baths Marker
Inscription.  John Patterson Branch (1830–1915), banker, philanthropist and community leader, erected Richmond’s first public bath here in 1909 at 1801 East Broad Street as a gift to the city. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, cities such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York began operating municipally managed public baths that were open throughout the year to promote good public health. In 1913, Branch Public Bath No. 2 at 709 West Main Street was opened. At the peak in the early 1920s, more than 80,000 customers used the two facilities each year. The development of domestic indoor plumbing led to the closing of the two public baths in 1950.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-68.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 37° 32.12′ N, 77° 25.502′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. It is in Upper Shockoe Valley.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is on East Broad Street (U.S. 250) near North 18th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1801 E Broad St, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Craig House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lockwood Double House, 1845 (about 400 feet away); Church Hill Tunnel (about 600 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Lafayette's Tour (about 800 feet away); Masons' Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Asbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate General Hospital No. 12 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Additional keywords. Bath Houses
 
Branch Public Baths Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
2. Branch Public Baths Marker
Branch Public Bath Building (built in 1909) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
3. Branch Public Bath Building (built in 1909)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,874 times since then and 538 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1902

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024