Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Doctor's Office

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
The Doctor's Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
1. The Doctor's Office Marker
Inscription.  This building, a renovated office used by a railroad contractor from the early 1900s, now serves as a reminder of Dr. Lemuel Brattan's office. Brattan, one of the town's founding families in the early 1800s, decided at age 28, to quit keep his successful career as a store-keeper and businessman, and become a doctor. He enrolled in the Univ. of Maryland Medical School, graduated, and returned to open an office as one of the two general practice doctors in town. Only a few years later, in 1857, he left town again to go to Texas. About 1870 he returned but died shortly after. This building is approximately the size of the office he had built for his practice.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 38° 27.724′ N, 75° 45.326′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue just west of Bratten Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Railroad Ave, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Building (a few steps from this marker); Young's Purchase Farmhouse (a few steps from this marker); Young's Purchase Home (a few steps from this marker); Gravenor-English School (within shouting distance of this marker); Cannery Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Livery Stable (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); BC&A Railroad Freight Depot (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
The building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
2. The building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190279

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024