Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lodge Hall

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
Lodge Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
1. Lodge Hall Marker
Inscription.  This building began as local craftsman Thomas Windsor's backyard carpentry shop, just west of here on Main Street in the late 1800s Upon his death in 1901, the building was sold to Wicomico County and moved to its current location to be used for tax collecting, as a "voting house" and various other official functions. It was moved here to be part of the already commercial center of the village, which included a blacksmith shop operated by L.M. Vincent and a wheelwright shop owned by E.S. Boston. Other businesses included a grocery store, Grange Hall (containing a library and meeting space) and a doctor's office. In the mid-1900s the building was sold to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Goodwill Lodge #112. They added electricity and indoor plumbing for the first time. It became part of the Adkins Historical Complex in 1983.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernment & Politics
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Industry & CommerceScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 38° 27.672′ N, 75° 45.286′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Bratten Street just north of Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Bratten St, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); BC&A Railroad Freight Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Graham-Whitelock Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Brattan-Taylor-Truitt Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Young's Purchase Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gravenor-English School (about 300 feet away); Young's Purchase Farmhouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
The Lodge Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
2. The Lodge Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190292

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024