Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frankford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Captain Ebe Chandler House

 
 
Captain Ebe Chandler House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, January 14, 2022
1. Captain Ebe Chandler House Marker
Inscription.  
After adventurous service as a sea captain during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Captain Ebe Townsend Chandler returned to his hometown of Frankford and purchased what is now known as the Captain Chandler House in 1918. Built by Captain Joshua Townsend, the main two-and-a-half story Victorian Gothic building and three smaller rear outbuildings date from 1878. Elaborate gothic details were added to the exterior of the main building by Captain Chandler during an extensive remodel and successfully distinguished it from others in Sussex County. During this renovation, the house was moved back a short distance to accommodate the grand wraparound front porch. Among the most unique features of the house are its two octagonal gazebos complete with multicolored glass-paned dormers, which are located to the left and right of the porch. Captain Chandler resided at the house with his wife, Hettie Jane Bishop, and their two children. After public service in various capacities, including mayor of Bethany Beach (1930-1937), Captain Chandler died in 1956 at the age of 98 and was buried in the Carey Cemetery near Frankford. Members of the Chandler
Captain Ebe Chandler House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, January 14, 2022
2. Captain Ebe Chandler House Marker
The Captain Chandler House is visible in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
family dwelled in the house for five generations.

The Captain Ebe Chandler House was named to the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 1979.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-237.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1979.
 
Location. 38° 31.021′ N, 75° 13.998′ W. Marker is in Frankford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Road 54) and Reed Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Main St, Frankford DE 19945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frankford United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Antioch Camp Meeting (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Prince George's Chapel (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dagsboro (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rev. Edward Dingle of England (approx. 2.2 miles away); POW ★ MIA (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190329

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022