Mont Belvieu in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church and Cemetery of Mont Belvieu
In 1877 "Barbers Chapel" was officially organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Barbers gave four acres for a church house and school building. In 1878 the 17 charter members erected the schoolhouse which also served for worship and as a community center. The Rev. P.E. Nicholson was the first pastor and Captain Dingham was officially licensed to preach.
The original church site was traded for this location in 1895. A 30' x 40' church house was completed in 1897. Because the Fisher family made the largest contribution toward the new structure, the church was known for a time as "Fisher's chapel". While the church house was being built, a family needed a burial site for a child and the cemetery was opened. There are 495 gravesites with 245 interments.
This sanctuary was erected in 1932 by adding onto the existing structure. The fellowship hall was built in
In 1986, the congregation relocated two miles east on State Highway 3180 to avoid the dangers of petrochemical storage in the underground salt dome.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9122.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 29° 51.076′ N, 94° 53.532′ W. Marker is in Mont Belvieu, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on North Main Street (Loop State Highway 207) 0.1 miles north of McDaniel Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located in front of the cemetery along the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1419 North Main Street, Baytown TX 77523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Amos Barber Homesite and Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barbers Hill Oil Field (approx. 1.3 miles away); Henry and Amelia Griffith (approx. 3 miles away); Hartman Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Old River (approx. 4.1 miles away); Near Home Site of John Peter Sjolander (approx. 4.3 miles away); St. Emily Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Dr. Ashbel Smith (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mont Belvieu.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.