Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glenwood Springs in Garfield County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Linwood Cemetery

Glenwood's Pioneer Cemetery

 
 
Linwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, July 13, 2021
1. Linwood Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  
Glenwood's Oldest Established Cemetery

Linwood Cemetery is Glenwood Springs' oldest existing cemetery and is known by several other names; Pioneer, Hill, Glenwood and Doc Holiday's. The name Linwood has been used since the cemetery's inception in 1886, although it has not yet been determined what significance it has, if any. When the first white settlers arrived and decided to make Glenwood Springs their home, they used the area of 12th Street and Palmer Avenue (near the trailhead) as the city's first burial ground. The land on the hill that would later become Linwood Cemetery was homesteaded in 1885. In August 1886, the Glenwood Cemetery Association was formed and Linwood Cemetery was developed. A notice appeared in the local newspaper, The Ute Chief, in November 1887, advertising lots for sale in the new cemetery.

"Families desiring to secure a place for the repose of their dead can now obtain the space from this organization. They have the only organized cemetery in the county. Their grounds adjoin the town of Glenwood Springs and are located on a mesa commanding one of the most charming views in the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
mountains. Funds received from the sale of lots after the payment of expenses, are to be devoted to the improvement of the grounds. Persons desiring to secure choice lots will address the undersigned -H.T. Sale, Secretary"

Mr. Louis Schwarz, a local undertaker, was named trustee of the cemetery association and ran the day to day operations.

Due to health concerns raised by local doctors about bodies buried in the natural run-off zone that is now the 12th Street ditch, our city's forefathers, in November of 1887, decided to move the bodies in the original burial ground to the newly-formed Linwood Cemetery. Citizens with family or friends in the old burial ground were asked to have the bodies moved to the new cemetery on the hill at their own expense. Everyone else was moved at city expense. A fellow by the name of Mr. Hewson, who was employed as the town scavenger, was directed by the town council to reinter the bodies in the new cemetery. Just one day after the council ordered these bodies to be reburied, Glenwood's most infamous resident John H. "Doc" Holiday died and was buried in Linwood Cemetery.

In 1889, Undertaker Schwarz purchased the cemetery property from his colleagues and continued to manage the cemetery until his death in 1917, whereupon the property transferred to his brother, Jacob, who had succeeded him as undertaker. In 1939, the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
City of Glenwood Springs acquired the cemetery in a land deal which provided property for the city to locate their new water tanks. The City owns the cemetery property to this day.

When you visit the cemetery, please keep in mind:

• The trail to the cemetery is approximately a 1/2 mile moderately hike.
• Take water and rest frequently if needed.
• No motorized vehicles are allowed.
• Please keep bikers on designated bike paths.
• Please pick up after yourself and your pets.
• This is bear country, please use the trash receptacles provided.

Above all, please be mindful that this is a cemetery and treat it with respect.
 
Erected by Frontier Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 39° 32.482′ N, 107° 19.298′ W. Marker is in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. Marker is on Bennett Avenue south of 12th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenwood Springs CO 81601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potter's Field (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCoy-Armory Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hughes-Anderson Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); I.O.O.F. Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); When the Railroads Arrived in Glenwood Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Water for Glenwood Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); And Devereux Said Unto Glenwood, "Let There Be Light" (approx. 0.4 miles away); When Snow Slides Closed the Canyon (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenwood Springs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 68 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 25, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191017

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024