Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
CS H.L. Hunley
The CS H.L. HUNLEY, the first submarine to sink an enemy warship, left from a point near here on the evening of February 17, 1864, and proceeded out Breach Inlet toward the USS HOUSATONIC, anchored nearby. The
The HUNLEY, named for Horace L. Hunley (1823-1963), an early promoter of Confederate submarines, had already lost a 5-man crew in August 1863 and an 8-man crew, including Hunley, in October 1863 during trial runs in Charleston Harbor. Its last crew, commanded by Lt. George E. Dixon of the 21st Alabama, included Fred Collins, James A Wicks, C. Simkins, Arnold Becker, and __ Ridgeway of the Navy, C.F. Carlson of Wagner's Co., S.C. Arty., __ white, and __ Miller.
Erected 1997 by Palmetto Soldiers Relief Society. (Marker Number 10-27.)
Topics. This historical War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is February 17, 1868.
Location. 32° 45.549′ N, 79° 51.394′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Poe Avenue near Palmetto Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at Fort Moultrie. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1304 Poe Avenue, Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This is Sullivan's Island (here, next to this marker); Battle of Fort Sullivan (here, next to this marker); 7-Inch Brooke Rifle, Triple Banded (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad, Rifled and Banded (within shouting distance of this marker); 8-inch Parrott (200 Pounder) (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad (Rodman) (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Parrott (300 pounder) (within shouting distance of this marker); Buoyant Mine (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,556 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.