Parchment in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
On July 28, 1930, Jacob and Lucinda Kindleberger donated thirty-eight acres of land to create a park for the recently founded village of Parchment. “Uncle Jake” Kindleberger was president of a paper mill, the Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Company (KVP). The park was a central part of his effort to form a mill and village that he saw as “models for the world.” Parchment’s village commission voted to name the park after the Kindlebergers in January 1931. Despite the Great Depression, park construction began in 1932 under the leadership of KVP. Employees dug ditches, planted trees and constructed roads. Volunteers from the local Boy Scouts and garden clubs also worked on the park. At the park dedication on June 17, 1933, KVP’s baseball team broke in the new diamond with a home game victory. The Parchment News reported nearly six thousand attendees.
At its founding in 1933, Kindleberger Park featured walking paths, tennis and shuffleboard courts and a sunken garden. The park quickly became a central part of village life. Industrial- and city-league baseball games, the annual Fourth of July celebration and concerts by local
Erected 2019 by Michigan Historical Commission and the Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2322.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1931.
Location. 42° 19.496′ N, 85° 34.14′ W. Marker is in Parchment, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Street and Park Drive, on the right when traveling north on Maple Street. The marker is located at the west end of Kindleberger Park across from the library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 North Riverview Drive, Kalamazoo MI 49004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverside Cemetery Veterans MemorialWhite Eagle Society No. 2144 Polish National Alliance Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Patriots (approx. 2.1 miles away); Robert L. Cook Veterans Memorial Plaza at Rose Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); Haymarket Historic District (approx. 2.3 miles away); Michigan State Grange / Women in the Michigan Grange (approx. 2.3 miles away); Button-Jannasch Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Peninsula Building (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 2, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.