Chatsworth in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Holly Creek P.O.
May 17. Learning that 20th Corps troops [US] had usurped the Coosawattee River crossing at McClure’s Ferry (at Pine Chapel), Cox moved his troops S. (via AUDOBON crossroads) to Field’s Mill - two miles above McClure’s, where they were joined by the other 2 divisions.
The 23d A.C. was the left flank of Sherman’s army, enroute S. in pursuit of the Confederate army retreating from the battlefield of Resaca after two days of battle.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-1B.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 16, 1763.
Location. 34° 39.815′ N, 84° 49.718′ W. Marker is in Chatsworth, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 225 and Maple Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forks of the Old Federal Road (approx. 5.8 miles away); McClure’s Ferry (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Chase, and a Battle (approx. 6.2 miles away); Harlan’s Cross Roads (approx. 6.4 miles away); Field's Mill & Ferry (approx. 6.8 miles away); Fort Gilmer (approx. 6.8 miles away); Springplace Mission (approx. 6.8 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatsworth.
More about this marker. Through an error, there are two Georgia Historical Markers nunbered 105-1; this marker, and Springplace Mission nearby. This marker has a hand-painted "B" added to the cast 105-1 on the marker, and it was so designated in state records. Springplace Mission formerly had a handpainted "A", which was removed during a recent repainting of that marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.